Saturday, May 5, 2007

I Started with the Engine


I started this project with the engine because it was the first thing I got from a friend. It's a 1980 - 1984 chevy 305.

I took the block to the engine shop and had it hot tanked and checked for cracks. The cylinders were bored .060 over and then honed. The block where the heads mount were ground flat. The cam and the crank were line bored in the block.


I spent several days cleaning the casting marks off of the block, then I taped it all off and primed and painted it corvette yellow.

There was a scratch on one of the cranks main journals, so I had the machine shop machine the mains .010 under sized. New freeze plugs were installed and that was about all the work I had the machine shop do.

I purchased and placed new bearings in the cam and the mains, and installed the crank and the camshaft. Next I installed new rings on the oversized silv-o-lite pistons and put them in the block. Then I torqued everything on the crank to the appropriate specs.

I purchased and installed a new oil pump and pick up tube. I also purchased a one piece oil pan seal and put on a chrome oil pan.

Next I put the custom ground camshaft in with new lifters.

I installed a noisy gear drive between the cam and the crank and covered this with a chrome cover. I then installed a summit chrome short water pump. Then a chrome harmonic balancer.

I had the heads completely overhauled at a cylinder head machine shop with all new parts. Then I installed the heads, new push rods topped off with roller tip rockers.

Next I installed the Edelbrock endurashine intake manifold, then small block chevy tall chrome valve covers.

I then installed a Demon 525 cfm carburator, I topped this off with a polished aluminum air filter cover.