Saturday, October 6, 2007

Frame Construction

I made yet another trip down to the local store and purchased 20 feet of 2" x 3", .120 wall thickness, rectangular tubing to begin the construction of the frame.

The first pieces I cut were the kick up pieces, then I cut the rear pieces. I beveled all the joints that would be welded to about a 30 degree angle.






I then welded all these pieces together clamped back to back to keep everything straight. Next I measured and cut the main frame, (From the kick up - forward) and beveled and welded these in place.

Next I measured and cut the rear crossmember, measured everything to make sure the frame was square and tack welded it in place.




For the front crossmember I used 3" tubing. On the front of the frame rail I cut and notched the frame so this would sit in the frame rail flush.


I measured everything again to make sure the frame was square. and tack welded the front cross member in place.






After welding everything, I went back and smoothed all the welds and filled all the imperfections with body filler, then sanded everything smooth.


I gave the whole frame a coat of flat black primer.




I chose to purchase the engine motor mount and transmission mount crossmembers. I purchased these from Total Performance.


I installed both of these crossmembers to complete the basic frame assembly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool daddy! I like your blog.

kekoa

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Kekoa